1. Engage: Students will analyze a political cartoon depicting the mistreatment of a loyalist and brainstorm why anyone would choose to be a loyalist knowing this could be their fate.
2. Explore: Students will examine primary source documents to construct an understanding of the motives of loyalists, patriots, and those who chose to remain neutral during the American Revolution.
3. Explain: Students will discuss their document sets and construct a list of reasons why someone would chose to be a patriot, a loyalist, or remain neutral.
4. Extend/Expand: Students will play a game in which they must decide if a colonist will be a patriot, loyalist, or remain neutral based on description of their economic and regional background.
5. Evaluate: Students will work in pairs to write a two-voice poem representing a patriot and a loyalist or work individually to write letters/diary entries from the perspective of a patriot or a loyalist.
joined 2 years, 11 months ago