1. Engage: Students will examine a quote about freedom from Fannie Lou Hamer and discuss its relevance today and to their own lives.
2. Explore: Students will participate in an OUT instructional strategy by analyzing textbook coverage of the Civil Rights Movement to understand context and to also determine what pertinent information is missing from their textbook.
3. Explain: Students will read and/or listen to the speech of Fannie Lou Hamer using the reading skills of the historian: sourcing, contextualization, close reading, and corroboration.
4. Extend/Expand: Students will investigate the broader Civil Rights movement in their textbook researching the voices of other prominent women in the movement.
5. Evaluate: Students will re-write textbook pages to include missing voices in the Civil Rights Movement.
joined 3 years, 12 months ago