1. Engage: Students will watch a brief news video about a prom in Georgia that was recently integrated (2013) and discuss why this is a newsworthy event.
2. Explore: Students will examine photos of segregated facilities in the early 20th Century.
3. Explain: Students will analyze paired texts- The Gettysburg Address & a lesser known excerpt from I Have a Dream and create a third text by comparing the two.
4. Extend/Expand: Students will consider informational text on county school integration in Mississippi from 2010 and compare this to demographic charts on school exposure for racial categories.
5. Evaluate: Students will choose from a variety of evaluative options including a 2-voice poem from the perspectives of Abraham Lincoln and Dr. King or a freedman from the 1860s and a civil rights worker from the 1960s.
joined 3 years, 9 months ago